Webseite Institut für Maschinenelemente und Systementwicklung
In recent years, multi-material design has emerged as a consistent advancement of all previous lightweight design strategies. The load-optimized use of materials opens up novel ways of saving weight and resources.
Reliable and fast joining processes are essential for the implementation of multi-material lightweight design. In recent years, promising approaches have been developed for laser-based joining of thermoplastics and metals.
In the research project „TailoredJoints“, the MSE is currently working with a consortium to develop design methods of thermally direct-joined plastic-metal hybrid joints. In the future, these should enable the application of tailored, laser-based joining of plastics and metals on a large series production scale for the next generation of vehicles.
Currently, the mechanical properties of this joining technology can be simulated at the micro level. However, the calculation time is too long to cover this level of detail in large assemblies (e.g. crash simulation in the vehicle).
Therefore, goal of this thesis is the development of a model of the joining technology at macro scale, which can be efficiently simulated in assemblies (e.g. vehicle).
- Research on multi-material joints and their simulation methods
- Development of a finite-element model (e.g. ABAQUS) on macro-scale
- Implementation and validation of the model in a vehicle assembly
- Validation of the model
- Reliable way of working
- Interest in lightweight design and multi-material simulation
- Basic knowledge of FEM (ABAQUS) and Python are an advantage, but not mandatory
- Relevant topic in current research
- Suitable for home-office: Software is available via VPN / Digital meetings are possible
- Start immediately or by request
- Excellent working atmosphere
The focus of the thesis is individually adapted to the personal interests and skills
We look forward to your application by email:
Julius Berges, M. Sc.
Institute for Machine Elements and Systems Engineering
Schinkelstraße 10, 52062 Aachen
Um sich für diesen Job zu bewerben, sende deine Unterlagen per E-Mail an email@example.com